I count twenty-nine AfterEffects worked on to be pretty decent progress for one day. Of those, I am positive that a few of them will probably have to be tweaked again, but it's a good start.
I thought I was done. I really did. I burned off a copy and then sat down to watch it with my mother and sisters. It soon became obvious that there was an issue...the narration did not sound so very good. I still cannot comprehend all of it, but what I can tell you is that the main problem was a wide variance in room tone from where my dear narrator had had to re-record for me at least twice and each time the room tone was different. There was also an element of the recording itself that did not sound too good, but I cannot exactly explain what about it was off. I had attempted to fix a large portion of the diversity of the room tone in post and thought I had succeeded fairly well. I did not take the toll that compression would take on it into consideration. Lesson learned: When you initially hear something that widely off, do not attempt to just squeak by. The product is inferior.
We are, however, overcoming this unexpected hurtle. Mr. Kurtright has graciously agreed to re-do the entire thing, using a little bit of different set-up this time. I was prepared to do it myself, but was really very pleased that he wanted to re-do it. He has such a unique voice and his diction is so "Florida"--which is one of the reasons I asked him to do it in the first place. Hopefully, nothing will go wrong this time around. As I do not know how soon it well get completed, this may be the last post on The Cow Cavalry for a little while.
However...I hope soon to announce my next project. So stay tuned!
As far as completion goes, I am just that much closer to the end. However, having run into a mysterious audio problem, I am waiting for one of my voice actors (who, praise the Lord, was still available) to re-record a rather short segment for me. Once I receive that, I shall be able to wrap things up rather quickly I believe!
I missed an entire day of editing this week due to some necessary work around the house, but I did do a little more audio adjusting as well as re-working particular visuals half a dozen times or so (at least, that is what it seemed like!) I spent the entirety of one morning reading about and attempting various fixes for my mysterious audio problem, but decided that I was not going to conquer so I instead got in contact with Jordan. I finally got the mono-tracked interview converted to stereo; that pleased me immensely!
As of yesterday, I completed the AfterEffects compositions for the credits...and I must confess that when "Racheal Parker" appears amongst a mix of male names in the "Voice Actors" segment, I burst out laughing.
Also, this week, I went through and "tightened up" some of my interview clips. My interveiwees are each knowledgeable men with interesting things to share, but I felt it necessary to trim down and compress, so to speak, some of their varied discussions. I am grateful for these men who made this possible...
In parting, I would like to present you with the updated trailer!
While I regret to say that The Cow Cavalry did not reach completion this week, I must say that I am pleased with the progress made. The current visuals were thoroughly inspected and needed alterations began to take shape. I will actually begin working these into the timeline next week. It took an entire day to render them all. However, I rather expected that, so do not consider it an extra hindrance.
I did note two or three places which will require more audio editing, but the overall sound is fairly cohesive despite that fact that barely any of the audio was recorded in a professionally rigged studio.
Trusting in an ever kind Providence, I hope to be able to announce full completion next weekend!
It was my goal to have a fully completed Cow Cavalry by this date. Due however to certain providential hindrances, The Cow Cavalry is not yet fully completed. But, I may assure you that progress is being made. With my grandfather in the hospital last week, nothing at all was done by way of editing, but since he is fully recovered and safely home, I returned this week to a dedicated scouring over the project, adjusting audio levels and tweaking video. The music is finding it's place in the timeline and transitions are also in the works!
Amongst the individual items accomplished were the following:
All in all though, I am pleased with the progress made this past week. Next week shall be filled primarily with video work, rather than audio...and it is possible that I may be completely finished by next Saturday.
Racheal Parker; Filmmaker: